Thursday, May 31, 2012

READY!

As a youth I used to participate in simulated combat games. We used toy guns that fired small plastic BB's at each other in a game of domination.  We had rules set out for our safety and protection so that everyone could enjoy themselves.  All of us would buy our own gun and cared for that gun.  All of us carried a certain amount of ammunition in case our guns ran out of shot.  I myself would carry extra magazines for my guns and extra bottles of BB's and gas so that I could reload my guns.  Before and during the game I would constantly check my magazines and ammo to make sure I was ready to play.  Often my friends would see me checking my rifle magazine by spinning a small wheel that would reload my gun.  Sometimes I'd be spinning it for up to thirty seconds just to make sure my gun was loaded.  Because I was always ready I was able to stay on the field much longer than most of my friends.

Everyone of us are experiencing life in different ways.  Not all of us will lead the same life.  However certain principles apply to all of us.  Some of us just try going through "the motions" in our daily activities.  We go around doing what is expected of us because that's what everyone wants to do.  There are also people who just don't care and do what ever they want because it gets them in the "popular" crowd.  Often those people are left alone and miserable.  There is an proper form of attitude.  It does not just involve going through the basics, but instead of just going through them we live them.

There are points in the gospel that are pretty basic: go to church, read scriptures, obey the law, etc.  People who don't care will do everything they are counseled not to do because they are "free" without these restricting laws.  There are those that will follow these principles but only do it to stay out of trouble.  You can benefit the most from it by asking yourself, "How does this apply to me? How can it make me grow stronger and find happiness."  They then take a leap of faith and live the principles instead of just doing them.  Nephi was always ready to work.  He said I will go and do what God has asked of me, because he has a plan for me.  He showed a proper attitude of Faith.  What is that?  The proper attitude of Faith is not: "How bad can I be and still know Thee?" or "How good do I need to be?" But rather, "What do I need to do so that I can know Thee and find Joy?"  He didn't say "do I really have to do this?" or "I'll do it only because I have to."  He said "I will go and do what God has asked me, because I want to."  No one is forcing you to do anything.  But Obedience is a life long pursuit.  There are no short cuts, no breaks, no hall passes, and no vacations.  If you don't want to do it then don't do it.  But you are missing out on a lot of rewards from not keeping God's commandments.  Going through the motions is not directly breaking the commandments, your just refusing the reward that comes.  You are carrying only a little ammo and leaving the game early because you are out.  By exercising faith and being obedient to God's Commandments we are able to sufficiently "arm" ourselves so that the world doesn't bring us down to our knees.

The winners are not the guys who simply sit down and wait or take the "easy route" in life.  Winners do everything in their power and possession to make sure they succeed.  I can assure you it wasn't easy carrying all that stuff while playing combat games with my friends, but It helped me a lot when I got in a tight spot.  It is going to be hard just trying to live around in the world.  But a strong testimony and faith in God really helps.  Especially when the pressures really begin to come in.  You are not going to find exaltation on doing what you are supposed to do, but doing everything you can to obey the Lord because of your love for him.  And that makes all the difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment