Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Cold of Winter to the Warmth of Summer

When you hear the word "winter" the image that might come to mind is a wasteland of white and cold.  I'm not always bothered by the cold chill, even though it can be plenty cold.  Yet the cold was still there and I'd often feel it on my face or back.  Sometimes it would penetrate my gloves and coat and then I'd feel it.  I knew it was cold outside, but I refused to see it as a winter wasteland.  Instead I turned it around and I saw a glowing Wonderland, full of beauty.

There are lots of bad things happening in the world right?  Wars are being fought, Africa is starving, the debt is increasing and the world is going to end.  Dear me!  It looks like the world is destroying itself right?  NO!  It may seem like there are so many bad things happening, but there is also lots of good things happening.  How do you find the good amongst all the bad?  You look past the bad searching for good.  You will always find what your searching for.

Do you remember the song "What a wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong? Part of the song reads:

"I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom, for me and you
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world

"I see skies of blue, and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, dark sacred night
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world"

I have found out myself that even though the world is bleak and hopeless, there is beauty all around and hope.  I have found this by believing in the good and doubting the bad.  Through Jesus Christ I have found hope in the future.  I've found joy in the little things whether it was looking at a simple plant on the road side or even the majestic Eiffel Tower in Paris I see the good in the world and allow it to soak into my soul.  Because of that I have seen the work of God and how it blesses me.


The world isn't all doom and destruction.  There are lots of good things happening.  The sun is shining, birds are singing, Man has seen the far reaches of the galaxy and has even been to the deepest ocean.  That may seem so simple and petty, but it's true.  God has created a world with so many beautiful things so that we could be happy.  God never created wars, or poverty.  He created a earth to help us learn and grow so that we can find pure happiness.  Yes we are going to experience pain and loss.  But did you know that out of the ashes is the most fertile soil.  Some of the strongest plants our grown from adversity.  Our greatest leaders came during times of struggle and it is those individuals that we often honor.  (2 Nephi 2:11) Our happy times came after a struggle.

Winter never lasts forever.  Eventually the snow will melt and the colors of summer will break forth out of the ground and you will feel the loving warmth of the sun.  Our trials will not last forever.  We can find relief in our struggle through the Gospel of Jesus Christ and come to find warmth in our winters until summer comes.  I know you will find it.



No comments:

Post a Comment